11-21-17 How to Spend a Cold, Blustery Day




How to Spend a Cold, Blustery Day...Kitt Style

Today I woke up to a cloudy, cold, windy day.  Whitecaps on the lake. Sand blowing. I even saw a tumbleweed go by on the beach!! A perfect day to stay in, put on sweats, work on laundry, and write that pesky paper that is due in the next week or so. 


Get it? I've got schoolwork to do. So, therefore, I have spent the last two hours updating old computer accounts: Expedia, Hotels.com, HiltonHonors, and on and on. I've also repeatedly checked Facebook, written two personal emails to long-lost friends/family, figured out how to put Microsoft Word on the desktop, found cartoon clip art pictures of several things I can copy for a Christmas present, wrapped presents, sent several texts, and updated my super secret password list.

WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME????? 

Only 2 more weeks of class...that's what. I'm tired.

THEN...I decided I had spent enough time looking at the box for the cute little picnic table I had bought for the grandkids when they come to the Beach House. 

I'm a smart person...really. I like to assemble stuff, although I have a habit of not reading the directions thoroughly enough before proceeding and having to backtrack and re-do. But, not this time. I'm reading the directions. 


20 screws/8 long bolt thingys. Two Allen wrenches, included. Easy peasy.

THESE DIRECTIONS DO NOT SPECIFY THAT THE SUPPORTS ARE NOT IDENTICAL AND THERE IS A RIGHT AND WRONG WAY TO PUT THEM INTO THE SLOTS. Just sayin'...

I got the supports in (it was kind of hard to line up the screws and the long bolt thingys, but I persevered.) I was even thinking of posting on facebook that I really appreciated the inventor of Allen wrenches. What handy little, simple tools. 

Getting a little warm. 

Success! Finished. Now onto the benches, which are the last thing.

Oops. Since they didn't tell me to watch how I put the supports in, they are backwards and the seats won't fit. Grrrr. Have to take out 8 screws/bolt thingys and redo. 

A little warmer. 

Put the first support back in, screw down tight, four times. Smart thought...check to make sure the seat will fit before I put the second support in. 

Oops. I rotated it wrong again and ended up putting it back just the same way. Take it out...AGAIN. 

Re-install the two supports the right way. Hands are sweating. Thumbs are sore from the stupid Allen wrenches. The screws are beginning to look a little stripped out. 

Got it. Install seats. 

Hands are so sweaty and I'm breathing hard. Those little screws are out of my reach, and I'm balancing the bench on one foot and trying to screw in other end. Sort of bounce on the old (and I mean OLD) buns to reach the screws. Take the table with me.

SUCCESS!!!


If those sweet cuties weren't so darned cute, I may have given up!! But, I'm ready for next spring now. (This was a vital thing for me to complete today, instead of Element #4 paper, obviously.) 

In church our pastor challenged us to be real with people, to look at our facebook posts and see if we're trying to give an unreal view of our life--how perfect it is--just to impress others. This is real. God is not expecting perfection. 

When I post a scripture, I'm not saying I've mastered that concept. I'm saying, "Hey, I read this today and it really gave me hope or something to aim for or made me feel a bit guilty." Just so you know...

And, now I hate to brag, but...(well, that's probably a lie. I obviously love to brag...) I have finished all my Christmas shopping and wrapping!!! YAY!!! What was the motivator? Taking Grant and Angela their presents this weekend. Gotta have them done by tomorrow! 

I may have those presents done, but I am doubtful I'm going to decorate my house much this year. After all, I've got a paper to write!!!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Love,

Kitt.



Comments