4-2-19 Free at Last--My Tribute to Cousin Greg





Yesterday the world got sadder. Loy's cousin, Greg Kern, took his last earthly breath and woke up with a brand new, eternal adventure ahead of him. 


I've debated whether to write this. I didn't know him well, probably only seen him 5 or 6 times in the course of 38 years of being a Watley. There are myriads of people who knew him so much better than I. But I heard about him, heard about him lots. I only began to forge a relationship in the past year when we shared that specter of THE BIG C. That tends to bond people, even if the two cancers are not the same. 


But I decided to plunge ahead, hoping my feeble attempt to honor him will comfort others.


What I know about Greg:


In my mind, one of Greg's most notable attributes was his intense interest in learning--and I never found one single interest he had. He was interested in everything!! Loy remembers Greg, even as a teen, being so excited each month when the National Geographic magazine would come to his house. I remember Les telling the story of Greg explaining the Apollo 13 return to him using an orange. His excitement was contagious. He made others want to learn and be like him. 




Also, he loved Gunsmoke.


He loved to laugh and was a great audience!


He cried. I've seen him at other funerals and he was not ashamed to let the tears flow. He was quick with a hug to comfort others, as well. 


He was an encourager. His last text to me, a couple weeks ago, was expressing thanks for silly little gifts we had sent this past year. The last gift sent was a real dud--and I realized it soon after I had sent it. But he texted telling us the he knew what we were trying to express with that gift, making us feel better. 


He was a fighter. This past year was hard. Very hard. But he kept fighting, undergoing surgeries and treatments requiring incredible courage. 


He loved his family--thus, the fighting for his life. 


Most importantly, he was a tremendous Man of God. He knew Jesus. Really knew Him. And, you know what? Right now he REALLY knows Him. Up close and personal. Face to face. 


I've been thinking of this song lately. I like to think of this as something Greg might be singing right now. He is free. His struggle here with us is finished. He did not lose a fight with cancer in an eternal perspective, he triumphed over death by living with God right now. He is liberated. Bless the name of God Almighty. 





FREE AT LAST


WRITERS: REBA RAMBO-MCGUIRE, DONY MCGUIRE





Free at last. It is finished.

Life has triumphed over death.

Jesus reigns. Bless the name of God Almighty

Free at last.



Free at last. It is finished.

Life has triumphed over death.

Jesus reigns. Bless the name of God Almighty

Free at last.



Shout out, shout out our independence

Slaves that now are free.

Worship, worship our liberator.

Let's lift our voice and sing.


Free at last. It is finished.

Life has triumphed over death.

Jesus reigns. Bless the name of God Almighty

Free at last.



AMEN


FREE AT LAST




AMEN, AMEN

© 1984 SONGS OF RAMBO MCGUIRE/SESAC



Sometimes I think people who have gone on ahead of me are wishing they hadn't died--that they wish they were still here with us. But, that's totally an earthly perspective. As much as he loved us all, Greg is not wishing he was back here. He is wishing we were there with him!! 



So, Greg, I will miss you. There are many, many others who will miss you even more. I expect, as each one of us finishes the race to enter heaven, Greg will be there to say, "Hey, let me help you..." Because that's the kind of guy you are.



Amen, Amen. 

Comments